July 4, 2021

Happy 4th of July!...

 

If you have kids, or are a kid at heart, enjoy those fireworks!  

If you are a dog owner, so sorry for all of us who try our best to keep our 4 legged family from spending hours (and sometimes days) turning themselves inside out trying to make the noise stop.  I do wish that no loud fireworks would be sold to the average family, and that you could go to a display if you want that.  But, we still deal with it.  

We also need to be sensitive to our veterans that cannot handle those sounds.  It makes me really sad that there is no consideration for those service members that have suffered the horrors of armed conflicts.  ***********

A few of you have asked me about Sioux, and how she is doing.  If she stops taking the prednisone she stops eating.  So, she will stay on it, probably until the end of her life.  Which could either be due to IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) or the toxicity of being on prednisone long term.  She is desperately thin.  It's a struggle to encourage her to eat every day.  Romeo is dedicated to helping her have the best quality of life possible.  And of course I do my part with small treats, but mostly with ear scratches, body rubs, that sort of thing.  I know where all her favorite spots are.  Sometimes I feel overwhelmed.  When I see her backbone sticking out, and notice even how thin her face is, I want to cry. Most of the time I can hold it in until the feeling passes, but there are times......**********************************************

I baked something new, called a apple pie/cake.  It's a Romanian recipe.  I tried it twice this weekend because I wasn't sure the first try was the best one, then took it to a luncheon today ~ where it was more popular than I thought considering the other dessert was strawberry shortcake!  

It tasted great, but I will continue to think it looks like a hamburger until you cut it up into small pieces.  I'm not sure I will make it again, but it is good to try new things!  You never know when you might discover your new favorite meal or dessert.   In a few short weeks I will be making pastiticio for a group lunch.  I already know I don't like it, but the group I'm baking it for does!  Maybe I'll like it if I make it myself?  

Happy 4th!

Love, 365
 

7 comments:

  1. We're rooting for Sioux. Fireworks - F is so with you on that too. I like fireworks. F says I like them too much and she won't let me go outdoors for closer inspection in case some tow-rag thinks it's a cool idea to tie fireworks onto the nosy cat. She's heard of people doing it (and worse). She is also with you on food experiments but if pastiticio is a Greek pasta and mince dish, she'll give that a miss. She dare not say that here tho - it's almost a national treasure. Her secretary brings big pans of it to work and expects everyone to eat it together for lunch, in the summertime when its 35 degrees, and F would rather be eating salad or watermelon or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sioux says thanks! Today is a good day, so far.
      I have only had pastitisio once, and didn't really like it. My American taste buds don't like cinnamon as a flavoring for meat. (Probably because I once grabbed the cinnamon instead of the taco seasoning, lol).

      Delete
  2. I had to look up with pastiticio was. I believe I have never had it.

    Poor Sioux! Hard to see our beloved pets suffering. Our first corgi got lymphoma and he was on prednisone for a bit but developed diabetes. We did chemo for him and he had a remission for 3.5 years but had to have twice daily insulin shots.

    I love fireworks, but the legal kind. Unfortunately lots of illegal ones being shot off in our neighborhood and our present corgi is not a fan of them. Lots of cuddles yesterday and tonight.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pastitisio is like a Greek lasagna. I didn't care for it, (see comment above) but I want to try making it ~ maybe with a little less cinnamon. Perhaps no one will notice!
      Thanks for your well wishes for our beloved pet.

      Delete
  3. Good on you for making something new. It's always a bit of a risk, especially if it's 'foreign'.
    Save that pastitsio for me!! I'll swim on over and get rid of a few thousand calories so I can enjoy a big piece 😂😂
    My daughter and a grandson doesn't like it either.
    Hope you're 4th July wasn't too darn noisy. Those darn fireworks even disturb our peace sometimes, but at Easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was noisier than I remember in the past. Whew! And I fully expect that there will be some tonight as well.
      I asked if you have a recipe ~ let me know!

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...