June 11, 2022

Is it Blogger or me?....


 I don't get it.  I've gone through the recommendations and still have trouble commenting.  Even on my own blog, I usually have to write my reply on a word document and copy/paste it.  Otherwise, I can click until the cows come home and nothing happens.  Sheesh.  I've found work-arounds for it, but it's really getting old.

**********************************

On the dog adoption process, I have hit a bit of a stumbling block. "thank you for considering rescue and Col. Potter.  Your application reviewed specifically for Robbie since he is one of our special dogs.  The director gave some very specific feedback about what Robbie needs, and does not think he is the best fit for you given his issues.  While we want all of our dogs into their forever homes, we also want to make sure it's the best home for the dog where he/she can be successful.  The second concern is that we recently implemented a new policy about ages of the dogs compared to ages of the adoptive home.  Applicants 65 and older will not be matched with puppies or dogs under the age of 3.  We have seen too many dogs end in rescue when their beloved owners are no longer able to care for them or even worse have died."

What was not included in the information I read about Robbie is that he's not good on walks, and has a heart murmur, although he's not currently on medication.  So, I can see why they believe he's not a good fit, as walking the dog is one of our fun things to do.  So......I can go and purchase a puppy, and no one will say boo to me, but I'm not able to adopt a puppy/young dog?  In some ways I get it.  But I don't appreciate an assumption that I'm already not able to care for things?  They don't ask me if I have a disability, or in a wheelchair, or if I can run marathons, or bend myself into a pretzel in some complicated yoga move. 

I guess I thought that pet adoption sites wanted to place dogs into a home where they will be wanted, enjoyed, and given a great life.  And why exclude those over 65, who are retired and have all the time to care for and find companionship from dogs under the age of 3?  Kind of a weird policy.   Not to mention heart breaking, and a tad bit insulting.  

As I said I am back to square one.  What do you think?  

Love, 365


13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Just so you know... I commented on a blank post. All I saw and/or could get was the title of the post, 'Is it blogger or is it me'. Which is why you got a silly answer. Regarding the dog adoption, fuck those people. Assholes. Age discrimination is a real thing, unfortunately.
      We have decided not to adopt another dog because our last one lived 16 years and the possibility that neither one of us is going to live another 16 years is there. But that should be OUR decision, not some arbitrary bullshit from someone who sits in an office and makes shit up for a living.

      Delete
    2. Haha ~ that’s what I figured when I saw your reply :-) Yeah, I wish they had begun with "the dog has a heart murmur, and isn't good on a leash". That info was at the bottom of the email.

      Delete
  2. Alternative rehoming service with less arbitrary rules about age and more personal review of fit.
    BTW what sort of dog goes with someone who can bend themselves into a pretzel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dog small enough to jump through legs and arms I guess. :D

      Delete
  3. I agree, and I would be furious if they did not tell you this policy as soon as you expressed interest in adopting. That should not be a weird hidden policy. They don't require certificates of health for every potential adopter, so why use age to say no. I think God will lead you to the right new pup of any age. I could not comment on your post so I logged out and then just searched by your blog name and now it is letting me comment. Blogger is not letting me comment on many blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was disappointing, and as I said a little insulting. I worked as a receptionist for many years. and can say for certain that the number does not mean very much. I've known 90 year old men and women that were really quite amazing.
      I sure wish blogger would fix this commenting issue!

      Delete
  4. Blogger does act up with the comments. I have one person who can only comment as anonymous on my blog; Blogger won't let her use her usual name. Weird! Sad about the restrictions in getting a young pup. The thing is even a healthy person can run into some problems and have to forfeit a dog due to health reasons or even young people die tragically so age really shouldn't be a factor in adopting a dog. I know we have a backup plan in case something happens to us before Winslow passes on who will take care of him but that's kind of like parents having a plan put into place should they pass before their children turn 18. Another blog I follow they tried working with a rescue agency to get a dog and was turned away because they both worked during the day and didn't have a fenced yard (dog would be inside all day but the agency didn't like that the dog would be alone for that many hours a day). But that is almost routine these days with people working. They did go through another agency and rescued a dog that way. Good luck in your search!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your best wishes! I will continue to look, and will probably find a puppy within a month or two.

      Delete
  5. Do they ever manage to place any dogs? Sounds like a lot of over thinking while the poor dogs remain in kennels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's pretty sad. Actually I should have known something was up when I saw that Robbie was rescued in February. Why so long? Hmmmmm

      Delete
  6. I recently activated a new feature on my browser which said something like it would block all cookies from operating on any site except the one from which they originated. I very quickly started having commenting problems like that. I de-activated the feature and everything went back to normal. If you've recently activated something like that, you might want to turn it off and see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you first discussed here you were going the rescue route I wanted to warn you. I had a very bad experience to get our dog that way. We finally gave up and found a breeder and a non hyper lab. But if I were to do it again, I would try a no kill resuce because they aren't as strict. My experience was so awful with crying and returning a dog and no one, no one, should have to go through this. I know they mean well but c'mon. And I will say the only reason I am not getting another dog is because of my age. I don't want a dog to outlive me and I know what it takes to have a great dog and all the work. They need mental and physically stimulation or they will chew etc. I did it right but it was not always easy at first. Then we had a perfect dog who needed no leash, never chewed anything but her food or her chew toys, never did anything wrong period. But it was work and all that energy the 1st two years - wowsa. By the time she had a heart murmur, and other issues, we both were old. :-) I highly recommend insurance if getting a puppy. Otherwise it's too late if you get an older dog. It's not affordable then. I hope this turns around for you.

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...