September 24, 2022

Cuteness overload, which is the only thing keeping him on this earth........

 

Not the best photo, but I like the sass :D

Demitri (the name we decided on) is a tiny little guy, weighs in at about 3 1/2 pounds right now.  

It's been a long time since we've had a puppy ~ probably about 13 years or so.  Romeo has already stated we won't be doing this again :-)  

The biting, oh man.  I am going to have scars.  He becomes frustrated and then will literally jump at your hand or arm and really bite hard.  I currently have 7 punctures on my right arm.  We're learning different ways to reduce the biting.  The best so far is a small spray bottle with water.  After a few squirts, he will leave your feet or arm alone.  I think we were playing a little too exuberantly and got him too excited.  So, we're trying to tone it down a bit.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes he's just in a bitey mood, so he goes into the crate for a little time-out.  Oh, yeah, he gets quite a few time outs.  Haha

House training is going ok.  I hope soon he will get the hang of it.  I told Romeo that by the time this is over, I will have hand cleaned the floors down stairs.  We have removed most of the rugs beforehand.  The one left is machine washable.

I've been so busy, mostly because of festival baking.  The annual Greek Festival at our church is on 9/30-10/2. 

That's 100 (yes!) tsoureki we baked last Saturday.  I was exhausted.  We also made baklava, kourabiedes, koulourakia, paximadia over the past 4 months.  There are probably other types of cookies baked when I was on the road trip and missed.  I think my friend, who manages the baking for the festival, is a little miffed with me about being gone so much this summer. 

Fula taught me all about tsoureki.  I tried writing the instructions down, but she does most things by how they look.  I did my best.  

We not only have a new puppy, we have a new refrigerator.   About a week before we left to go get the little holy terror, I opened the freezer on our old one to discover the ice was halfway melted.  Which prompted a flurry of transferring freezer food into the garage chest freezer, and all of our other stuff to our neighbor's garage refrigerator (which luckily was mostly empty).  This was over Labor Day Weekend.  We splurged a bit, but it is really nice.  I especially like the snack drawer, and the back wall which is lighted.   Plus this one is a lot bigger than our old one, which we really needed.  We are really glad it went out before we left town, because the compressor was still running and we thought it might catch on fire.  It wasn't a lot of fun to live out of an ice chest for 4 days though.

Enjoy your Saturday!

Love, 365







7 comments:

  1. Demetri is adorable! I agree with Romeo. We are done with puppies. Don't have the energy. Winslow is finally settling down. What I found best for potty training was to limit how much of the house the dog has until he starts to understand what he has to do. That makes less areas to clean up, lol :) I do remember those sharp teeth! Enjoy him as I know you will! So much baking!! All sounds delicious though!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to spend a couple of hours trimming the wysteria, raking out the accumulation of leaves and sticks so that he would concentrate on doing his business instead of chasing leaves and chewing on sticks. I even found some trash that had blown underneath that we didn't even know was there. So, if nothing else, Demitri has forced us to deal with chores we had been putting off!

      Delete
  2. Try citrus for the biting. He sure is a cute little guy. And thx for reminding us why we aren't doing this again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Yes I don't recommend it although lab puppies would likely be easier. Labs are so eager to please, whereas Cairn terriers can be a huge challenge. Romeo bought the age old "bitter apple" and that is working well.

      Delete
  3. I'm exhausted. Jumpy puppies and that tremendous baking spree. I can't make one decent tsoureki let alone 100. I could with lessons from your Greek baker. Wish I could be there to inhale all those smells and try out the produce!!
    Just amazing.
    Good luck with Demitri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite part of baking on that scale is to place myself on the receiving end of the fan blowing over them for cooling. It's heavenly. The festival is this coming weekend....it's a lot of fun, but exhausting work! I signed up for the mornings when I will have the most energy.

      Delete
  4. What a marathon. We have no suggestions for puppy training - Tigger arrived fully qualified and even the little OIK we had for a couple of weeks two years ago seemed to have all the training worked out. We guess that's cats for you. It won't take Demitris long, Cairns are smart wee guys.

    ReplyDelete

Spring has sprung, let the gardening begin....

  This show of blooms was just the beginning! Of course they smell amazing, and all the pollinators think so too. Windows and back door open...