October 3, 2022

This, that and beyond......

 

What is up with Blogger?  When I post comments, there are a couple of you that I can directly comment, just as it's supposed to work.  Sometimes I have to write/copy/paste.  I can click on the comment line all day and it won't allow me to type the comment.  Worst of all is when I have to copy/past and also put the name and URL unless I want the comment to show as "anonymous".  It's really a pain.  I sure haven't seen any improvement in their software in the past 6 months.  

 

I am so grateful that the Greek festival is over.  3 days of 6-8 hour days.  Two of those days I worked the pastry booth, giving out single servings of baklava.  We never seem to plan for how to deliver those, so it's always a pain in the butt.  On a napkin if people are eating it right away, but since the chocolate covered ones weren't in a container, I had to make-shift one with a styrofoam plate covered with plastic wrap.  Next year there needs to be a better system.  And I hate all those plastic containers.  Unfortunately, paper containers will absorb the honey syrup, and aren't good for freezing.  

Last year we sold out of everything by 2pm on Saturday.  This time we baked quite a bit more, and we sold out of the last bits by 1pm on Sunday.  We made so much baklava cheesecake, I figured we would still have some on Sunday morning, but it sold out on Saturday.  I was shocked!!!  The refrigerator was crammed with them!  I knew the bread would sell out.  We also sold out of the kourambiedes, which was the last to sell out of last year.  

One day I worked in the bookstore booth, but I chose Sunday for that shift ~ which turned out to be a mistake on my part.  By 2 pm all my pastry buddies were off shopping or eating lunch, and I ended up being there until 5pm when we closed ~ then we had to stack everything back into the bookstore room.  The person who was supposed to come at 2:30 sent a text he couldn't make it, and I didn't want to leave Steph by herself, so I ended up there until the end.  As I was driving home, I realized I smelled like incense, which is much better than smelling like food.  

Demitri is growing like crazy.  It's been nearly 3 weeks since we brought him home.  He's settling in, and we are still working on the house training. I have a few ideas on how to improve it, but it will take some doing.  Since we don't have any grass, I'm thinking about having a bit of astro turf put in.  One of our neighbor's has some, and he likes the feel of it.  I'll check into it, but I think it would improved things.  Even if we don't do that, I still think he'll get the hang of things.  It would be best if it happens before really cold weather.  I don't enjoy standing outside in the freezing cold waiting for a dog to pee!  So, if you have any training tips, please don't hold back.  

Love, 365
 

6 comments:

  1. My dog was trained in 24 hrs. We used bells on the door. After the 1st day she got it the concept and we kept the bells for 2 weeks and then we knew she had it down and I took them off. Have you tried that? google it. I know most say to leave the bells there longer but we soon discovered we didn't need to she got the hang of it quickly. It worked for us anyway. We then gave the bells to a neighbor with a new puppy. (bells on ribbon to hang on door you'll go out) Her dog took a bit longer than 24 hrs but it still worked for her. I think Izzy was part human

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought that if we had a lab puppy, we’d be done. Cairn terriers are different for sure. Very stubborn. Some days he does very well, other days are a slide back. I will try the bell idea though!

      Delete
  2. Baclava cheesecake. Oh heaven!! But that stuff is so sticky. Hope you can find the necessary containers. And good luck with the puppy training. Sounds as though you need a lot of patience....and puppy love lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puppy love is the best! We will persevere, and I have no doubt we'll get there!
      Baklava cheesecake is really good ~ we made so much that when I left on Saturday I thought to myself that there would be plenty for Sunday! I guess people were looking for dessert after their meal. They did run out of lamb, Greek chicken, spanakopita, and even gyros! It was quite successful this year.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a successful bake sale! All of it sounded delicious! Like I said before, with puppy training, limit how much of the house they have access to. I always watched our new pups like a hawk and whenever they started to sniff around I would take them outside and tell them to "go potty" and praise them when they succeeded. I know your little pup will get the hang of it! Just lots of positive enforcement and praises when he does what he is supposed to do outside :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! This isn't my first puppy (but as Romeo says, probably our last!). This one is being a bit stubborn, but I know he'll get there!

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...