March 31, 2023

Pascha and travel......

 

Tsoureki ~ a traditional bread eaten after Orthodox Christian Easter.  Flavored with orange zest, and ground mahaleb (a spice of a specific cherry pit that is ground).  Sweet and delicious!  On the 7th of April, I will be heading up a group of ladies to make about 45 loaves of 1 1/2 pounds apiece.  The only difference between this photo and what we will make is the sesame seeds we sprinkle on top instead of sliced almonds.  

Our Easter is a week after Protestant Easter this year.  Sometimes it's a longer period ~ it all has to do with the calendar.....Gregorian?  Julian?  Yes, Orthodox Christians follow both, it all depends on the tradition of the church you attend.  If you are interested in learning more about it, go here...

 Once Pascha is over, we are going to take some day and over night trips.  We've just been waiting on the weather to warm up a bit!  First order of business...

Petrified National Forest in Arizona.  We stopped here many (many!) years ago when we were on our way to the Grand Canyon.  Then I'd like to go south to Tucson to visit the Saguaro National Park before heading home the next day....

So, that'll be our warm-up trip.  Toward the end of September we'll travel to San Antonio for my (gulp) 50 year class reunion.  My sis said we could stay with her, but with Demitri with us, and their dog Duke having some issues with his knee, I don't think it would be a good idea.  He might get to excited and injure it further.  

Well, I have bread in the oven ~ of course!  Have a great weekend, y'all.

Love, 365








8 comments:

  1. Oh boy I love tsoureki. Thank goodness every bakery and supermarket here sells it. I've made many loaves but it's just not the same as the bakery version. I wish I could bake with you and your Greek women!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's always fun ~ unless one of the Greek ladies wakes up grouchy, lol.

      Delete
  2. Ooh that bread looks good! My 50th reunion is next year. We were just invited to my husbands. He doesn't not wish to go. I'll probably do mine next year. I can't believe it's 50 years wowsa. I'm only 35 in my mind how can this be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guy I dated in high school asked me to let him know if I hear anything about the 50th...it startled me to realize it has been that long! Sadly there will be fewer people there, as we've had some of our class mates pass away. That always freaks me out.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is! I usually bake mine in a cake pan and put a design on it. I've also braided mine, but my braiding skills need polishing.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a fan of class reunions. So far, I've missed all of mine, something I have every intention of continuing.

    I am a fan of home made bread, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been to a few of my reunions ~ especially since we now live far away. But this is a biggie! Plus we can visit the boys and my sis.
      Everyone I know is a fan of home made anything!

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...