January 14, 2018

Why don't I like Oprah like everyone else?

I just can't figure it out.......

Oprah is a very successful woman.....I find myself admiring her success and power, while at the same time I just instinctively can't make myself a fan.  The only real thing she's done that I found a bit too much was her book club.  For quite a while, it seemed no one I knew read anything other than books on her list, as though they have no idea what to read and have to be told.  It rankled.  If you were an author she enjoyed, you could reap the benefits.  If not, you had to wait for someone like me to find your book, and hopefully, there would be enough of us rebels to hoist your tome to the top of the lists.    And basically that's the only real issue for me.  I admire her philanthropy, her ability to remain her own woman without getting married, and the fact that she just never gives up trying to lose weight even though I think we're all tired of that one.  It's a mystery to me.  

Just recently there's been talk about her running for president.  She denies she would ever consider it....do we believe her?  Would you consider voting for Oprah?  I would immediately say no, but look what happened last year.  "My button is bigger than your button" indeed. 
**********************************************************************

Classes begin next week ~ well, on Monday.  Although my Monday & Wednesday class won't start until Wednesday, the instructor already sent us a 17 page (single-spaced with a teeny tiny font) essay to read on "wilderness".   Sure, it's interesting.  (William Cronin's essay can be accessed here if you want to bother)  I suppose it never fails to amaze me how much I don't know.  I had never heard of this essay ~ no reason why I should except for being at the university.  Anyway, it's really already started, and in truth I feel grateful he didn't email us with the reading on Monday morning.  I've been slowly reading it for three days. I really hope this isn't indicative of what we'll be reading for the next 16 weeks.  The other class is online, and I can access it on the holiday.  That's the downside to online classes ~ holidays don't matter that much, although we won't have quizzes or exams on them.
************************************************

Have a great week ahead!
Love, 365


11 comments:

  1. Not an Oprah fan myself.
    And we've already seen what a TV star with lots of money looks like as president.

    Re: the single spaced thing... copy and paste it into a new document, enlarge the font, double space it. I may have mentioned it before, I love to learn and know things, but I hated school and I vehemently disagree with what passes for education today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I did access the document you linked. As a person in the 'why use 20 words when 200 are so much more fun' club, I don't understand people who subscribe to the 'why use 200 words when 2000 FLOWERY and BORING words are much more fun' club. Cronin was the original inspiration for the saying, "Don't just talk. SAY something."

    I started to read the essay. And my mind did the literary equivalent of the 'wah wah wah' from Charlie Brown.

    Have fun in school. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned that academics always seem to have diarrhea of the mouth (or pen as it may be). And he did say something, but sadly I just don't care or agree... :-) I'll probably have to write a paper on his paper, hahaha. Yep, the fun never ends.

      Delete
  3. I admire Oprah in many ways and she certainly has had unbelievable success against most odds. I think the problem I have is she tends to commercialize everything. When she narrated her own nature TV show a few years back, and her performance as a narrator was mediocre at best, I had to wonder with all her money why she would not give that job to some very qualified and probably needy professional. Also, since she seems universally adored and professionally feared and no one ever says anything negative I instinctively don't like her. My mind says she deserves the accolades and is a remarkable positive person, my gut is not a big fan. My gut is probably not being fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "universally adored and professionally feared" ~ yeah, that's probably why, and no, I don't think your gut is unfair....I learned long ago that my first impression is correct most of the time. She just bugs me.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a big fan either but I don't really have a reason why. She's to positive is probably why. I don't trust someone who is always positive about everything. Maybe that's just all I've seen or read about her but that's what I got. As far as being President, I ready where Steadman or whoever he is said that she would run if that's what the people wanted. Truly, can she be worse than what we got?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I quote "my button is bigger than your button" ~ so maybe not worse in regard to egging on batshit crazy dictators, perhaps worse in other areas. It would be kind of fun to explore the ways in which Oprah isn't a good idea for Prez.

      Delete
  5. I think you know how I feel about this. She sure has the ego to run. BUT -I do not want Battle of the Network Stars come next election. She is not presidential. We do not need someone else who is clueless running this country. Yes, she can give a great rah-rah-rah- speech as she did for years on her show. But president. It makes me want to vomit. I feel as though a person stood up in public, was knowledgeable about the topic, could put a sentence in correct structure together and did not use the work "like" as if a Valley girl so we must elect them. We seem to be so starved for someone who isn't dumb, clueless and white trash. There are many more woman qualified as well as men. Eliz Warren and Cory Booker come to my mind. But NO to Oprah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like, no, right? hahahahahaha But I agree, it's NO to Oprah.

      Delete
  6. I read a quote from someone who said if Oprah is elected president everyone will get a new car. But what else will she do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG a woman after my own heart = YOU. She bugs me, too.

    ReplyDelete

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...