July 26, 2019

Fraud.........& Air conditioning!

You guessed it.......someone tried to use my credit card.  :-(

While at the gym on Wednesday, I kept getting notices on my Apple watch (the one I bought for $100 from a friend who didn't like it) from my bank.  I finally checked my phone, and read the messages in horror......that there had been apparent fraud on my bank account and credit card.  All of the credit card charges were blocked....thankfully.  My bank (USAA) shut down access to my account ~ even to me ~ until I could get in and change EVERYTHING.  Including the email I have listed on the account.  I was both freaked out and grateful that my bank was so quick to react.  None of my money was stolen....not sure why, but really grateful.  I admit my bank is awesome......they do have great safeguards, probably because many military families use it, due to their many moves.   I was surprised that someone was able to get in to my account ~ they changed my login!!  I even have two step notification on my account, and yet they were still able to get in and change things.  Added phone numbers.  Added e mails.  Changed my security questions.  Good grief.  

The bank representative recommended I change the e mail on the account and to change all my e mail passwords.  And to do that every 3 to 4 months.  I admit I am not happy about that, passwords are such a pain....  (see link for previous rant)

But, despite all of that shenanigans.....Great News!!  I have a new suv!!

I know this is a crappy picture, but it's raining and I didn't want to get wet, Lol.

Yes, despite the fraud attempts I was able to finance the above.  A 2016 Rav4 that was leased by a couple that live in California and Santa Fe....it had only 11,000 miles on it.  I got a great deal ~ I negotiated it myself!!  Since it has been so long since I've purchased a vehicle, I didn't realize how long it would take.  We arrived at the dealership at 8:45 and didn't leave until 11:40.   I can use my phone hands free now, and the air conditioning is absolutely fabulous.  I know that I was stressing on saving up the money, but this past week ~ when the Rodeo started making a new noise ~ I suddenly realized I could close out a small investment account that I had started with the intention of saving for a vacation.  That along with the $1200 I sold the Rodeo for, gave me a nice down for the Rav.  Luckily my payments are very reasonable, and I received a nice low APR as well.  

Funny, something horrible and something wonderful happening in the same week.  Ok, well, not really funny.  More strange than funny.

I'm going to have a really fabulous weekend.  I hope you do too!!
Love, 365

9 comments:

  1. I'm really glad your bank caught what was going on. It INFURIATES me that there are so many scammers and filthy thieves out there. (I removed the profanity that originally decorated the above).

    Love the new ride!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking to my Mom, and she was telling me that she had another call saying they were her Granddaughter & needed money. She had one a year ago too. There seems to be no end to the number of people that will separate you from your hard earned money.
      I love the new ride too! It is soooo nice!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy the Rav. Buying a car off a low mileage lease is the best way to go! A new car already broken in, at used car price.

    My bank caught a bogus charge once, scary, but like you thankful, I have no idea how they got my number. THey did not mess with my information like they did to you, but I have several auto charges that I forgot about that were declined when I got my new card...a pain, but not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone I know has had these issues ~ it's really a scary world out there....

      Yes, I believe I found an awesome deal! It is in like new condition too, with the exception of a few places where there are tiny chips in the paint, but that is easy to fix.

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness for a bank that lets you know whats happening! I once tried to make a donation to a site in the US and the bank froze my card thinking it was suspicious activity. Didn't mind that but I didn't find out till I tried to make a purchase. Could have bee embarassing but fortunately I paid cash. They did phone me after that. Too late mate.
    Great news on the vehicle!! Looks good and must be fabulous to have aircon. May the roads treat you well, and the other drivers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, the drivers out here are too busy looking at their phones to pay any attention to me, but luckily, I drive very defensively. The a/c is fabulous!

    I'm rather surprised your bank didn't call. Mine sent me about 15 emails, and I received as many texts too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea for the new car and air conditioning. I am also thrilled that this was caught although I don't get how if they didn't take any money. But none the less great for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is somewhat confusing that they didn't just take it all. Why go through the trouble if they aren't taking anything? Maybe all they wanted was my credit card number? I don't know. Maybe they were setting up to do just that when the bank shut down access to the account. At any rate, I feel very grateful and blessed that they didn't.

      Delete
  6. That is a sweet new ride. Congratulations and enjoy it. I have heard good things about USAA and I am glad they took care of you even though you had to deal with some unfortunate stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...