August 23, 2019

The limits of patience.....





Yesterday was an interesting day. Much of it stems around the replacement of our roof...something that we really need.  Romeo has been talking about it for years.  It is over 20 years old now.  We haven't had any serious leaks, but there are times when we have a hard rain that comes in a certain direction, we will have some leaks around the living room window, which we have always had a problem with.  Romeo had three different roof estimates done in the past week, and was happy with one of them.  While having a discussion with my sister ~ who works in insurance ~ she said we should have our insurance inspect the roof to see if there will be any coverage at all on it's replacement.  Because each of the estimators mentioned that it is unlikely that it would be covered, Romeo didn't call for that assessment, but I did.  I called at lunch time yesterday and set it up, figuring we would discuss it when I got home.  Little did I know that they would call him 30 minutes later.  And he was upset that I had done it without discussing it with him.  I explained that I didn't realize they would call him before I was home.  I didn't really see the big deal.  If our insurance does find some loss they would cover, then hey!  the replacement would not cost us as much.  It created a bit of tension between us ~ apparently more than I anticipated. 

Later, I texted him that I wanted to go to the gym after work.  He texted that he wouldn't cook the burgers that night then....and later said he would go with me.  Great, we could work off our stresses together then, right?  After an hour at the gym, I strolled over to the racquetball courts to change my shoes in preparation to go home.  And a group of guys I know (racquetball players) asked me to be their 4th in a single game of doubles.  I agreed, since it sounded like it would be a quick game.  About 10 minutes into the game, I noticed Romeo standing by the glass wall...he pointed toward the door, and I thought he was going out to the car.  5 minutes later I changed my shoes to go look for him......and could not find him.  I went out to the parking lot and looked ~ in vain ~ for his car and couldn't find it.  I texted and asked where he was with no reply.  Called with no reply.  Texted that I was walking home.  Which I did, doing a slow burn on the way.  He left me!  I couldn't believe it.  He didn't have his phone on him, it was at home charging.  But while I was walking home, he called, and like a child, I didn't answer.  I was too mad to answer.

So, it seems that I have a habit of not discussing things with him.  I didn't go find him and tell him I was going to play a quick game.  Apparently he thought I was going to be awhile.  It's a classic communication issue, where neither of us is letting the other know what's going on.  And if I had taken a moment to step outside of the court, I would have known that he was ready to go, and I could have told him it would only be a few more minutes. 

As hard as it is to admit, I failed in quite a few ways yesterday.  I didn't say anything when I arrived home......and it was a good thing that it took me 15 minutes to think while I was walking, it gave me time to review my behavior through the eyes of my partner. 

I still feel resentful although I am trying hard not to.  We'll get through this.  And hopefully I've learned something. 

Love, 365

9 comments:

  1. Yikes, I'm so sorry. but did you get a break on your roof? I hope so since that can be the silver lining of your doing this without telling him. Yep communication does us in more often than not - well for me anyway. Hope today is a better day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friday was a better day, and by Saturday, all was right again. The insurance adjuster is coming tomorrow. Hope he gives me some good news!

      Delete
  2. I would be shocked to find Insurance would cover any part of a 20 YO roof replacement unless there was a storm or accident and then the roof age would be a consideration...hope I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may lose my man card, but I think Romeo was wrong to make you walk...though I can sort of understand his frustration of not knowing.

      Delete
    2. Joeh, the age of the roof is definitely an issue, and that's why Romeo didn't consider our homeowners. However, I think it is worth a try, if they say no, then there we are. We did have some hail and wind storms in the past year that were pretty intense.

      I think I should have indicated that the gym is less than a mile from home, so it didn't take me long. I think he believed I would be there another hour. I should have stepped out for a minute but I didn't, when I should have. Just goes to show (probably don't have to tell you this, lol) you've never been married so long that you can't learn something. :-)

      Delete
  3. I suffer with lack of communication syndrome along with the disease of assuming what someone else is thinking but I keep trying. Here's to a better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I have a habit of believing that other folks can read my mind too. Just have to step up on the WORDS instead of just thoughts. Simply, right? hmmmm :-)

      Delete
  4. I am sorry that you and Romeo had some communication issues but I hoped you worked them out and all is well. I have definitely been there with the wife and we do behave like children sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really do! When I look back you might think it was a 5 and a 6 year old fighting over something that could have been easily solved. Inside every grown up is a kid, sulking in the corner....

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...