October 30, 2021

Flummoxed..........

 

There are a growing number of folks that are convinced that the earth is flat, and that we've all been brainwashed that the earth is round ~ headed by NASA, our government, and likely other organizations.  I watched about 3/4's of the show Behind the Curve.  That was all I could do, I just couldn't do it after that.  And, perhaps more importantly, it was driving Romeo crazy.  

The very first part was narrated by a flat earth believer, Mark Sargent.  He seems like a reasonable person, who apparently truly believes the earth is flat.  Then things take a rather weird turn.  

Not much of the FEB's (flat earth believers) actually have any proof.  They have some experiments that seem to support them.  But mostly they are talking about believing what they believe and then working hard to support their theory.  It's not based on having a theory and then applying the scientific method to find the truth, but sticking with working on proving their theory....and if their test doesn't prove it, trying another test until they find what they're looking for.  I watched as they were trying to use some special gyroscope to prove their theory, but when it didn't work (this was to prove the earth doesn't rotate), they kept trying with different processes.  As far as I know, they failed every single time.  

Neil Degrasse Tyson describes this movement as an anti-intellectual movement that borders on the end of civilization as we know it.  Hmmmm.  I think his frustration has influenced the vehemence of his words😡, lol.

There was quite a bit of film that had absolutely nothing to do with the theory.  A guy who makes a "flat earth motorcycle" ~ the possible romance between Mark and Patricia Steere (who is apparently well known in FEB you tube videos) ~ a dating service for FEB, because who else would date someone with those beliefs? 

Some of these people are making a lot of money off of the believers of this baseless theory too.  One guy spends hours (and is quite talented) making flat earth models that are very elaborate.

Anyway, it was interesting.  I watched because I wanted to see their "proof", or at least understand why they are convinced that the earth is flat.  I have come away agreeing with one of the psychologists that commented here and there ~ there are those who, for some reason, do not want to believe in the "establishment".  It's a thing.  I've had experience with this, and I bet you have too.  People that insisted when the vaccine first came out that it would be "the mark of the beast" or that there would be some kind of tracker in either the vaccine or the freaking band-aid.  

If I could ask a FEB a questions, it would be "then why is the moon round, the sun is round, the planets are round"?  I'm sure they have a theory on that too.  Romeo would shake his head at me for even engaging in such nonsense.

Love, 365 

14 comments:

  1. My husband watches a LOT of conspiracy theory stuff. He thinks there is some sort of coverup of the moon. That there is alien activity there and that it's all been hushed up. The stuff they have on YouTube is convincing because of course they're only showing one side. Like you said, they decide what they believe then they take only those things that 'prove' it.

    I don't know. His series of brain injuries and current cognitive function seem to have something to do with the way he's thinking. I just try to appreciate him as long as he's still here, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When love enters the picture, we adjust....I know what you mean. And who knows? Maybe there are aliens on the moon. Perhaps it's a big picture show for them. Now that's a funny mental picture. :D

      Delete
  2. Oh, the era of shows like that. We watched them, knowing how ridiculous they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still puzzling over how a reasonable (or seems reasonable) person could state their flat earth theory with a straight face.

      Delete
  3. I suspect about .000001% of the world express this belief, and .01% of that group believe it. Some people just love to stir the pot. In any bar in New York there is always a loud Red Sox fan and in any bar in Boston there is always a loud Yankee fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they kept talking about how many hits they had on the various sites, but never seem to realize that many? most? are just curious, and then laugh about it after.

      Delete
  4. If Joeh is right they get airtime that is disproportionate to their numbers and that in itself is oxygen to their fire. Why do people who refuse to believe in 'the establishment' have to belive in crackpot stuff instead? Why can't they hold well reasoned and scientifically supported anti-establishment views (like the world would be a better place if we all had to be paid for the use of our personal data instead of it being harvested for the wealth of big business and no return to the individual?) For example. (I know - one answer to that is free access to internet is the quid pro quo for giving away our personal data; but if we were paid for our personal data and used the credit to access the internet, some people might be more choosey about what crap they choose to spend their credits reading and believing in.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me that all under-represented groups yell the loudest and receive the benefits...and I do hate that I get email ads based on my internet searches. Drives me nuts.

      Delete
  5. Strange strange strange. I think I'd be like Romeo. They would annoy me so much with their silly reasoning I'd change the channel.
    I have listened recently to a podcast about flatearthers but they made it into a big joke so I listened and was amused

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't understand why I was watching. My excuse: poorly controlled curiosity, and a well thought out reply if I meet one. Haha

      Delete
  6. how do they explain what others see in space? sadly they breed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do! And apparently it's all smoke and mirrors on the views of earth from space, the space station is a fake, and so on. That part is really a snooze, because it's so stupid.

      Delete
  7. That kool-aid must be amazing stuff. Maybe they are hoping people will get so sick of them that they will get a free ride into space to see that the Earth is actually round.

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...