October 15, 2021

Oh, how I miss breakfast.....

 

Even as a kid I was a big breakfast eater.  During my teen years, when body image is stupidly geared to thin thin thin ~ well, lets not go there, it was an unhealthy time of my life.  I feel as though I've always had issues with my weight.  Peer pressure, social pressure ~ women are always under fire to be thin.  There's a reason why most magazine and clothing lines advertise with tall thin women.  Oh, for the Renaissance, when it was popular for women to be chubby.

Sigh.

When we age, most people ~ men and women ~ put on pounds over time.  For me it really started coming on when I turned 60.  None of the usual tactics worked anymore.   I tried exercising more, counting calories, etc.  Nothing worked.  The scale stayed stubbornly the same ~ or crept up, despite my efforts.  Then I read about intermittent fasting.  The basic idea is limiting eating during an 8 hour period.  Because Romeo and I enjoy eating dinner together, I chose the 12-8 period.  Oh, how I miss breakfast.  The eggs, the toast, the pancakes, the waffles....bacon.  All postponed until noon.  

I have to say, by 10:30, my tummy is rumbling.  I drink two cups of coffee, then I go for water to stave off the hunger pains.  Which, truthfully, has limited results.  

I started this on a trial basis, and have been sticking with it for the past three months.  So far I've lost 6 pounds, which doesn't sound like much, does it?  It's been more successful than anything else I've tried. When I traveled I didn't follow the plan, but I didn't gain any weight, which was amazing.  

But boy, I sure do miss breakfast.

Love, 365


5 comments:

  1. I'd be proud of a six pound loss! I'm now on the other side of 55 and I am definitely a different shape than I was several years ago. It really just boils down to "eat less". Good for you! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part of this "diet" is I did not have to change my eating habits, although I am mindful of what I'm eating. In other words, I don't eat chips and salsa all day, which I love!

      Delete
  2. I don't have breakfast most days so I do intermittent fasting without any effort. However, If waffles , pancakes, bacon and eggs were on the menu I'd be missing them too. You'll have to have two small meals early on. 'Breakfast' to break the fast and then lunch, and I suppose there goes your 6 pounds.
    Congratulations by the way. That's a win, win!! I'm losing about 1 kilo a month doing plant based. It's slow but sure. Looking back after one year it has added up.
    Whatever way you go it's hard work but satisfying when you see the scales going down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you too! That is what I'm losing, and it is a relief to see the scale go down after years of nothing, or worse, creeping up. Since I converted to Orthodox, my cholesterol has taken a nose dive, thanks to all the fasting, but a vegan diet is tough to do if you've spent your whole life as a carnivore.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the six pounds! Just hitting 50 myself, I know how easy it can be to gain the weight but such a pain to lose it. I would miss breakfast too. So many good things.

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...