April 19, 2022

The fun just never ends with Louisiana vital records.....

 

Maybe you read about the woes I've had about applying for my passport.  It turns out my Mom's name is misspelled on my birth certificate, which was pointed out to me at the post office.  I had never noticed that it was wrong!  So I sent all the things they wanted me to send, along with a check for around $22.  But of course, first I had to pay around $30 to obtain a copy of my Mom's birth certificate from Pennsylvania.  I made a copy and sent it with all the stuff in December.  I called many many times, until I finally gave up and just waited.  

When the letter came in the mail, I just sensed it wasn't my corrected birth certificate ~ and it wasn't.  Now they want me to send the original certificate ~ the one I paid $30 to get from Pennsylvania ~ and they will NOT return it to me.  Apparently it will become "part of the record of the correction".  No doubt it will be filed away, gathering dust.  I doubt any one would have any reason to look at it. While I was on the phone with my supposed caseworker, she had put me on hold.  I was talking to Romeo, and said how it was all so stupid.....and she heard only the last word.  Asked me did I just say stupid, and I said yes, I was talking to my husband.  Well, the conversation went down from there.  She assumed I called her stupid.  

The only problem is, she may not be stupid, but she sure doesn't pay attention to detail.  She put the wrong case number on the letter she sent me.  So when I called they wanted my Dad's birth certificate saying he was born in Tennessee (he wasn't) and called me Charlotte.  Hmmm, that's a very nice name, but it isn't mine.  That's when I realized that the case number was wrong.  

So, bottom line:  I don't trust them to get any of this right.  What if I send the birth certificate and she conveniently throws it in the trash?  I would have no way to prove it.  I could send it certified, but that only means I sent something, not necessarily the document.  Romeo thinks I should just go apply for my passport with the original document and just spell my Mom's name the way it is on my birth certificate.  It has already been 5 months.  If she's not vindictive enough to throw the document out, she could put it on the back burner for a long time.  

Ok, blogger family ~ what to do?  

Frustrated ~ 365


14 comments:

  1. I agree with your guy. What a pain in the ass!! And petty bureaucrats just aggravate me. I think we'd be better off without whatever it is they are supposed to do, since most of them don't do it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have little trust in the vital records department, especially Amber, my illustrious case worker. I'm just going to go for it.

      Delete
  2. I also agree with what Romero said to do. You tried to fix it but it looks like it is not going to be an easy fix. I'd move on with it, as frustrating as it is to do so.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. It should not be this freaking hard! And why does everything have to be through the mail? I should be able to scan and send everything to them and have it fixed without all this fuss.

      Delete
  3. We are with the other comments and Romeo. We know quite a few cases where family names have changed or been changed by simple spelling mistakes. And many report that it's more pain the get it fixed than to put up with it. At least it isn't your own name. Kalo Paske by the way for this coming weekend. xxx Mr T and F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Pascha! I sure hope Romeo doesn't fall asleep :-)

      Delete
  4. So much red tape and oncooperative office
    workers! Go with Romeo's plan.
    That's an incredible story but we all know it can happen anywhere, and does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I'm sure they deal with unhappy people day after day, and for most people that would make you bitter and angry.
      Hope you and the family have a great Pascha!

      Delete
  5. No advice, but just feeling so sorry for you about something that should not have been this difficult! I hope it all gets sorted out soon! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going for it with the original document. I don't want to give them the bc I paid for if they aren't sending it back.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Of course! It's the common sense thing. Doing it....

      Delete
  7. Contact your congrerssman or state representative. I get e-mails from my congressman and at the end there is always a comment to contact his office if I am having problems with any federal agency. I almost resorted to that with a tax issue that got resolved before my patience ran out. Good luck whichever route you pursue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I suppose I could dive in even further. I'll consider your advice, but I have my doubts as to whether my congressman would give a darn.

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...