April 7, 2018

Trouble on Pine Street........

Here we go.......(bing images)

Romeo has Hashimoto's disease, an autoimmune disease of the thyroid.  Has known of it for 3 years, but lately is becoming more concerned about some of the other health issues that can result from it, like diabetes.  His blood sugar was high at his last Dr's appt.  They put him back on his statin, which he wasn't happy about.  So, he's going to do whatever he can to avoid the diabetes drugs, so he has decided to become an Atkins aficionado.  Which means carbs are the enemy.  Of course, lots of people have lost weight on this diet, and Romeo knows I'd like to lose a few pounds, so has lassoed me into it.  Which is OK, for the most part.  But now I'm resorting to healthy dessert foods.  Like grapes.  Or strawberries.  There are no cookies, chocolate (I know, right???), etc. in our house right now, nor in the foreseeable future.  Poor me.  Perhaps I'll lose weight against my will, haha.

I had a terrible migraine on Thursday, likely facilitated by the horrible allergy season I'm experiencing.  This allergy shit is serious business.  I spent nearly all of Friday sleeping on and off due to how awful I was feeling ~ although part of that is the migraine too.  Now I'm feeling better thanks to living better through chemicals.  Eating a tablespoon of honey (hey! I do have honey in the pantry for dessert - whoo hoo) is for the birds at this point.  When I was originally tested, early blooming stuff is on my hot list.  Forty years later, it appears that hasn't changed.  Sucks, huh?

Most depressing is that after I could finally look through the UNM summer schedule, there is not one history class that fits into my schedule.  The only one that works I took last year.  The other two are Monday through Thursday for two hours daily.  No way can I work that into my work schedule......and remain employed. :-/.    I did find one class that might work, but it's not history, so I need to meet with my advisor to see if this class could be substituted for a history class.  If not, then my hope of graduating in December is dashed, because I couldn't find two history classes for the fall that works into my schedule either.  I'm crossing my fingers.  Wouldn't hurt if you did that too........

Love (achoo!!), 365

4 comments:

  1. Gosh allergies, hashimoto's and migraines. I'm so sorry.
    I have a couple of autoimmune disease. It really makes a different on my foods. I have hypothyroid, and celiac, both autoimmune diseases. I poo-poo'd the food aspect for a long time but now know even a fun weekend I will pay the price. Freeze the blueberries and grapes. I love 'em like that. I eat those while watching TV. I'd rather have a cookie too though so I get your pain.
    Also you can take cream,which I believe Atkins allows, put some cocoa powder in it with some stevia and whip it until you make a pudding type treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry you have to deal with those ~ Romeo's blood sugar tested a bit high and he's going into overdrive....I'm just hanging on for the ride :-)
      The funny thing about ice cream is we cut it out of our diet years ago. Oh, sure, I sometimes want it, and maybe will consider buying it now and then. I like crunchy..maybe I'll put some granola on it.

      Delete
  2. I have hypo thyroid issues but not hashimotos. When my numbers are right, I feel tired, but I never know if it's because of the damned statins. fwiw I count carbs but I don't eliminate them. My goal is fifty a day but don't shoot of myself if I get to 100 on one day. This allows me the occasional bread, rolls, half a banana or yes....cookie, and my caffeine of a small coke daily. I kicked my sugar low one time without meds and one time I needed help. I do love the weight watchers caramel ice cream bars.I am allergic to metformin so I have to work extra hard on my own. As my kid the holistic nutritionist would say, food is medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thyroid issues are so common, I sort of wonder if this is new, like in the last 50 years, or if it's been around since we humans started living longer. I don't have thyroid issues ~ yet!

      Delete

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...