April 27, 2019

Just plain unlucky......


If you've been reading here, you know I've spent just over $2000 on repairs and maintenance on my 17 year old suv.  I had the water pump system replaced, the brakes were redone and a new battery in the past 5 months.  The intention has been to keep it until December of this year and then trade it in or sell towards a new car.  A few weeks ago we had some rather warmish days that prompted me to turn on the a/c, only to discover that it's not working.

I think I'm not the only one who is discovering that although it worked last summer, it's not now.  The first shop informed me that Isuzu is no longer manufacturing the part needed to repair the a/c.  So they want to have a machine shop make one.  Those repairs would cost me over $800.  The second shop will send the naughty part to someone for repair and that would cost just over $500.  

The problem is I also discovered that the passenger side head gasket is leaking ~ and probably has been for the last six months.  Maybe even longer.  The repair bill for that is over $3000 with the first shop.   I didn't even ask the second shop for an estimate.  

These repairs are more than it's worth.  That's the simple truth.  If I wanted to drive it for 20,000 more miles, I would think more on doing it.  Instead I want to escalate the purchase of something else.  And have decided to buy a used vehicle instead.  The timing of this is so unfortunate.  My family is coming in a few weeks, and my Rodeo will be an uncomfortable ride now that the temp's are in the high 70s and low 80s.  So far.

I can be guaranteed I won't get much for it ~ and I don't want to sell it outright to some poor unsuspecting soul, who probably doesn't have the $$ for the repair of the head gasket.  

But in the meantime I'm going to be one hot momma.  Unless I decide to fix the a/c.  But I don't want to plunk $500 into it.  Not sure what I will do.  

Love, 365

12 comments:

  1. I HATE car repairs. I'd rather junk the car or sell it than get it fixed. Ughhhh. Sorry!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with ya ~ I don't want to fix the a/c but I'm not looking forward to those hot car rides either.

      Delete
  2. Well that's just rotten timing. We have a 2006 SUV that owes us nothing. It has been a work horse, has had the usual maintenance things done to it, has been the "kid" vehicle, is great in the winter with four wheel drive... we will keep it until something really big happens and then retire it. Hope you are able to find a used SUV that you like (I really like Toyota and have a used RAV 4 which is fantastic) -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard great things about both the Rav 4 and the Honda CrV. It'll be one of those two.

      Delete
  3. I think you have reached the point where repair would only be throwing good money down the drain.

    Squeeze what you can out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my conclusion Joeh. Too bad we're not at the beginning of winter instead of summer!

      Delete
  4. Try some community college auto repair technician program. They may be willing to do it for the cost of the parts alone. Could also take weeks, but worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad idea, but not practical for me. I would have to rent a car.

      Delete
  5. Try Rock Auto for discontinued parts. You can find them online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion, but unfortunately they don't have any either. It's quite the pickle. I guess there aren't enough 2002 Rodeo's on the road these days, and it was never a hugely popular vehicle.

      Delete
  6. Well that stinks. Sorry to hear. Maybe you can rent a car for the time your family is in town. Hope it all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the funny thing is these things tend to work themselves out. That doesn't mean it'll be all roses and cupcakes. But it'll work out.

      Delete

Spring has sprung, let the gardening begin....

  This show of blooms was just the beginning! Of course they smell amazing, and all the pollinators think so too. Windows and back door open...