May 18, 2020

Dream a little dream......


Last night was as any other night ~ same routine.  Lock up, brush teeth and face, apply copious amounts of moisturizer, turn on the humidifier, read a little then off to dreamland.  Only that's not what happened.

Something woke me (could have been the dog) and I went to use the restroom, drink a tiny bit of water...sometimes I make a mental guess at the time and check to see how far off I am.  It was 11:55 or so, just before midnight.  I quietly returned to bed, made myself comfortable, closed my eyes. 

Nope.

I was wide awake.  So I lay there for awhile, listening to the sound of the humidifier, the occasional sound of a motorcycle race down the road that was repaved this weekend.  I could tell I was wasting my time.  Sleep didn't just allude.  It went on vacation.

I quietly gathered my kindle and pillow and crept downstairs to the sofa, grabbed a blanket and then went around turning off the night lights and the porch light (which is brighter than the sun, I swear I hate that bulb ~ of course it is an LED so it will last forever.  I may have to replace it when Romeo is out and about).  Romeo is really a fan of night lights downstairs, which I admit makes it easy to navigate in the dark of night.  I believe I turned off 3, plus the porch light.  I settle in, adjusting the pillow, snuggling under the blanket, moving the hair away from my neck (which tickles and bugs). 

This is where having an e-book with a built-in light is so handy.  I was on the last book in a series, a really fun read by Shannon Mayer (who is a very prolific fantasy writer ~ the Elemental series), and on the last 1/3 of the final bit of the story.  It was a very satisfying read, although the end was a bit sad, since ~ well, I won't say although I doubt any of you are reading it.  A few tears rolled down my cheeks, I wiped them away and switched off the kindle and turned to close my eyes.  Determined to sleep now.  I didn't check, but it was probably 1:30 - 2:00 am by then. 

Finally fell asleep to the song of crickets.

Love, 365

7 comments:

  1. My hated LED light will go on well past my death I fear. I understand the issue. :-)
    I've been up since 3am. Something woke me and I just couldn't get back to sleep. Instead of being productive like you I watched I love Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, it's really not a matter of productivity, but Romeo would come downstairs and wonder why in the world I have the tv on. If it wouldn't wake him, I would have! I sure hope I sleep well tonight since full time work starts tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. I hate that can't fall asleep thing. When I had to go to work, I would throw back a glass of scotch or two to get to sleep...that worked pretty well until it became a habit and then maybe even more. Anyway, retired now and if I am awake late, I can sleep late, so I just stay up until I am ready to sleep. The Kindle works too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stay at home order gave me a taste of retirement, pretty nice! Sleep issues seem to get worse with age, but I'm not really much of a drinker. Maybe I could try my favorite: beer!

      Delete
  3. I am glad you were able to finally get some rest. I have been sleeping horribly since the whole quarantine started. I tried some hemp pills the other night and it didn't help at all. I was doing melatonin but I always felt a little groggy in the morning. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having a hard time with sleep lately. Worries about all kinds of things on my mind. If I wake up to pee I have a hard time falling back to sleep. Sometimes I sit here in the bitch barn aka momcave and watch videos or draw or play with my computer until I feel sleepy. Then I get back to bed and can't wake up until 10 or 11 or noon. My schedule is SO crazy. Now that Lyssa and her guy are here, I hope I will calm down a little. Quite a lot of my worry was over her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...