May 4, 2020

It's happening..........

Mom at the top of the photo along with me and Son #1

I was watching our church live streaming service yesterday morning, when I received a call from my sister.  It seems Mom was at the ER with breathing problems, and was later admitted and confirmed that she has COVID-19.  Such a shock, and yet not.  Joe, Mom's caregiver, had not been practicing stringent measures.  She has been mostly home bound for years, has congestive heart failure, demetia, and end stage kidney disease.  They were still having the cleaning lady come on her regular schedule (once every 2 weeks), and didn't ask her to wear a mask ~ later I found out she travels, and probably cleans a lot of other homes.  Joe goes to a clinic for cancer treatments every couple of weeks, and has invited his cousin to come and visit too ~ again, probably not asking her to wear a mask.  I also believe that he felt all those measures were too much trouble, not that he wanted this to happen.

So far, she is stable and comfortable.  Mom has a DNR, so if the next step is a respirator, she won't get that.  This is her choice, and I respect her decision.  She is 86.  She wants what she wants.

To add to the stress, my sister was with Mom all day Friday while Joe was at the clinic.  So she is super pissed off that she has been exposed, and has also exposed her husband (remember the terrible leg break from the fall from a ladder? yep).  So, we are all very angry with Joe.  My main beef is that even though Mom didn't want to worry about it, it is up to all of the rest of us who care for her to make sure we are keeping her safe.  And sadly, that wasn't done.

I don't know what the next week or two will show.  Given my Mother's health issues, my sister and I feel it is unlikely she will survive the infection.  

All I want is to see my Mother again....to kiss her soft cheek.  To hold her hand and tell her I love her so very much.  

If you are a person who prays, please say one for my Mom, and all those who are infected.  Thank you.

Love, 365

5 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so sorry, this is very sad news.
    There aren't ever the right words for things like this.
    Sending a hug your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very sorry and I also Pray none of the rest of you got infected too? States are Opening Up so prematurely and we're a Medically Fragile Family and raising a Special Needs Grandchild, so I am trying so hard not to get this! With so many NOT heeding expert Advice on Safety Protocol, it is frustrating since this Virus is insidious and spreads almost as successfully and rapidly as Measles! Just knowing that you can't be at her side must be torturous, Virtual Hug... it's the only kind we can give nowadays, but we all could use Hugs right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh hell, that is terrible news. Hope your mother is comfortable and your sister is not infected.
    That is a lot to take on. All my prayers for you and your loved ones

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry. I think I hate Joe. How careless. What kind of care giver is so damn medically clueless? Is this in the south where everyone thinks this is a hoax?
    My goodness I hope and will pray that ALL of your family will be well. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...