August 30, 2022

Now that I have all the time...........................

 

One of my better bakes.  It's always a toss up!

There are truly hundreds of sourdough bread recipes.  Some are for baking in a bread pan (called a Pullman) for sandwich bread...apparently the advantage is the square loaf.  It doesn't really appeal to me, but who knows, one day I might get one of these, as they are bigger than the yeasted bread loaves I've made in the past.

I have read recipes that create the "open crumb" (see below), but they are time consuming.  All day.  When I was working, I just didn't have a full weekend day to attempt one.  Well, actually I did try it once, and it was an utter failure.  So yesterday I fed my starter, and this morning I began.  

It is not easy to achieve the famed "open crumb".  On Facebook there are two sourdough baking sites I joined (there are many more), as people share recipes and ideas, and you can appeal for help if you have a disaster (it happens).  The way to achieve this is by increasing the hydration levels of the dough.  Which makes it rather sticky and difficult to work with, because it doesn't have the body to hold a shape until later on in the process.  I am currently in the "stretch and fold" process.  The dough is in a bowl, and all you do is wet your hands (to reduce the amount of dough sticking to your hands), grab the dough at the edge of the bowl, lift it up ~ stretch ~ and fold it over to the center.  You go all the way around the bowl when you do it.  In my recipe, you do 3 of these every 15 min, then do 3 more every 30 min.  The reasoning behind this process is to strengthen the gluten of the bread, so that you will have this lacy texture.

See what I mean?  Time consuming.  I'm giving it a try to see if I can do it.  Perhaps my bread will look like the one above.  Or maybe not.  The last time I tried, I didn't even get to the baking stage.  The dough was so slack, and all the stretch and folds in creation weren't going to fix it ~ basically I put in too much water.

So far this recipe seems to have promise.  Although I did ferment part of it a bit too long, because I skipped a step and had to leave it for longer.  (read: gobbledy gook, haha)

Even if it's a success and I do get that wonderful open crumb, it's not something I'll do often.   The usual bread I bake is just fine.  Tasty, crunchy crust and soft interior.  Mine does not have a pronounced sour taste.  It's there, but more subtle, which most people seem to prefer.  

I'll let you know!  So far it is doing what it should.  I am hopeful.....

Love, 365




6 comments:

  1. Another great loaf. You're on your way to master (mistress?) baker. You reminded me of a recipe I once used. Same sort of folding but not so often. It produced a very nice loaf. But I haven't baked with sourdough for ages. My starter is in the fridge. The longer it stays there the tangy-ier the bread is. I have to feed mine daily for a week before using it, to tone it down, or the kids complain. Only K loves the tang. But he was brought up on his mother's rustic sourdough loaves.
    Keep baking, and tell us all about it!! I'll learn something and maybe get motivated to bake again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the loaf turned out tasting great. I did achieve a more lacy interior, but not like the photo I included in this post. The crust is thin and crispy, and I do like that (sometimes the crust is too tough). It does take all day at home to make, so probably won't do it all the time. I'm going to tweak the water ratio a bit ~ I figured in our dry climate I could add all the water he does, but I reduced it by 25%, and it still was a little too slack. Maybe 50% will be better!
      Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. i've never made this kind of bread because I don't care for sourdough bread but it looks good in your photos! You may have found your side hustle in retirement. You will become a famous sourdough bread baker! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think you might have overstated my abilities! I do know of a number of sourdough bakers that have either taken to selling their loaves at the local farmer’s markets, and a few have taken the leap and opened a bakery.

      Delete
  3. Ciabatta is like that too but F complains that the fillings fall out of her sandwiches in religious (holy) bread and she prefers the close textured stuff with plenty of body to it๐Ÿ™€๐Ÿ˜‰ Your loaf looks exceptional and we hope it tasted exceptional too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's not my bread! I wish it was. I keep trying! Mine is as F would want, plenty solid enough for a BLT or a grilled cheese!

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...