January 15, 2022

A dog named Butters........

This past summer I met our new next door neighbors when I was searching for a bra I ordered.  They have a dog that is a beagle mix (how do I know? the howl).  I learned that day that this dog's name is Butters.  I could not figure out how they managed to name a dog Butters, until one of my co-workers said it's the name of a character on South Park.  Ah, that explains it, because I don't watch it.  

I don't know what this couple does for work.  I see his vehicle come and go at the usual 8-5 time frame.  I never see her come or go, but I assume she also works, or she hates the dog.  I say this because Butters is outside all day.  Even on weekends.  I don't have an issue with Butters being outside during the day, it's when they come home from the work day that is a problem.  

"Poor Butters!" is a phrase Romeo and I say often.  He wants to come in when they're home.  But for some reason they leave him out until 7pm or so.  How do I know this?  Because he barks constantly ~ with a howl in there every now and then ~ until they let the poor thing come in.  Sure, it annoys us, but mostly we just feel badly for Butters.  I think he's lonely.  Why have a dog then?  Who knows.

Have you ever gone over to a neighbors house to discuss an issue with their dog?  I did once.  Our neighbors dog jumped over our fence all the time.  The woman who answered the door told me to *f* off.  I filed a complaint with the city, and they retaliated by building a small cage for the dog right next to our house, so that back fired in a number of ways ~ they never did anything with the dog except when her husband went hunting, and that dog barked constantly too.  I don't think you should have a dog that only goes out with you hunting unless you have a couple of dogs so they could at least keep each other company.  That cured me, I haven't done a face to face with anyone since then about their dog (or other pet). 

So, I've written a letter that I will send anonymously.  Basically it says we sure do feel badly for Butters, and could they bring him in earlier so he doesn't bark for 2-3 hours straight?  I doubt it will change their behavior, but it's better than doing nothing.  I think.  Maybe.   

Poor Butters.

Love, 365
 

15 comments:

  1. Barking dogs. Don't get me started. I can honestly say we bought our first house because we couldn't take the barking dog where we were renting anymore. I think it's horrible to leave a dog barking all day long. Why get a pet if you don't really care about it?? Poor Butters indeed. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, poor doggy! I think people who started working from home adopted or bought dogs to keep them company, although I don't know if that's the case with our next door neighbor. Maybe she doesn't like cleaning up after the dog? Who knows.

      Delete
  2. Poor Butters! I have a problem with crying children and barking dogs. I always want to try to fix the problem, if you know what I mean. Hearing the dog bark would absolutely drive me crazy especially if you knew the owners were home and weren't addressing the issue. I do wonder why some people have dogs and then treat them like that. Of course I probably wonder that because our dogs tend to be really spoiled......

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought of asking if they would like us to walk him now and then, but I doubt they would be appreciative. And I wouldn't suggest it to Romeo, he still misses our Sioux.

      Delete
    2. Had a similar issue with a neighbor and, since I got home from work about 3 hours before they did, offered to dog sit in the afternoons so my dog and theirs could play together in my fenced yard until they got home. It worked out most of the time and they weren't offended.

      Delete
  3. Our neighbourhood has a batking dogs issue, but we don't feel bad for them because there are 5 of them in the house and they have the run of three floors and the flat roof. And they all bark. We do join you in feeling bad for Butters. Why have a pet that isn't part of the family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! You don't leave your mother-in-law outside waiting to be invited in. We've always kept our dogs inside with us. In bad weather we crossed our fingers (and went home at lunch for a potty break) that they wouldn't chew anything. They are part of the family to us.

      Delete
  4. Poor you and Butters. Hope they get the message. We had a barking dog situation 2 summers ago. It barked non stop for 3 hours every day when they left it alone to go swimming, and it was siesta time. No zz for siesta! But they are only here for a few months every year so we put up with it. This summer there was no dog. Peaceful siesta sleeps!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some dogs have separation anxiety, which sounds like the case with that one. Butters doesn't bark all day, but he sure lets loose in the evening. Plus, it's cold! And his coat isn't that thick.
      Hopefully they will consider Butters and us!

      Delete
  5. Not a nice neighbor to have, for sure. You are doing what you can, so far. How about reporting them to SPCA, many times. Their dog isn't being cared for properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, lets see how the letter goes. They should get it today, and hopefully they'll consider letting him inside more often.

      Delete
  6. I have a horrible neighbor who does the same. the constant barking. The poor dogs. I would like to steal the dogs away and treat them properly. Let him sit outside for 24/7 as this shit does to his dogs. The dogs are mistreated if you ask me. I did call the animal hotline an spca and they said if not being beaten they couldn't do anything about it. J.C after their dead you'll do something? I am not a fan of the world we live in anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If someone treats their animals poorly it's a good bet they aren't someone you'd enjoy being friends with.

      Delete
  7. I've had some bad neighbors who were mostly easy to ignore, hard to ignore a barking dog though. I'm not surprised by the F-off attitude, that is what I would expect from anyone who wasn't bothered by their own dog's misery, why would they care about the neighbors.

    Maybe you could get one of those air horns, and every time the dog barked, blast the horn, perhaps they would come to you.

    ReplyDelete

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...