January 30, 2022

A lil' help from strangers..........

 

This is the key ring I bought from E Bauer, over 25 years ago.  Well, not THE key ring I bought, these  were pictured online.  I love it because I can take off a key or two for whatever reason easily, and put it back on just as quick.  

When I last left you, I was freaking out because I'd left my keys in the lock of my mailbox.  We decided to buy new locks for the front and garage door.  I had to wait for him to come back from the hardware store, I was worried about leaving the house empty.   Paranoid much?  What if the person who had my keys was watching?  

When Romeo came back I took off to the post office.  I waited in line for about a minute and a half, when I realized I was standing there without my mask!!  I gasped, and went out to my car to get it.  And bless her heart, on older Hispanic lady waved me forward, she had saved my place ~ even though I didn't ask her to do so.  I was glad, because what with all the stress, I wasn't feeling all that great.  

The man at the counter called the driver that delivers to my neighborhood, and miracle of miracle ~ when he came to deliver that day, he saw my keys were still there!  So, for about 12 hours, my keys were dangling in the box and no one took them.  He put them in my box and locked it.  He met me there 15 min later and unlocked it so I could get my keys out.

I am not sure how my keys went unnoticed?  We've had car break-ins, and theft of outdoor Christmas decorations, and a myriad of other small thefts and vandalism.  I feel extremely lucky/blessed/fortunate that the keys have been returned.   

The only downside was that Romeo and already installed the front door lock, but he was able to return the one for the garage door.  Romeo made light of it, saying the front door lock needed replacing anyway.  

So, a potentially bad situation was turned into an event that turned out to boost my faith in people.  In their ability to see those keys and decide to walk on by.  In one person's decision to put them somewhere safe where I could retrieve them.  And the simple but appreciated act of saving my place in line.  

This isn't a parable, or a story that has a moral.  It's just a simple, common story ~ that shows me that there are plenty of people out there that want to do the right thing or the kind thing.  

Let's be like that.

Love, 365

12 comments:

  1. That's neat that you got the keys back! Great story for humanity! There truly are a lot of good people out there. We just never hear about them. Glad you were able to share your tale of one of them!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was surprising to me……this past two years has been so contentious that I had lost a little of my trust in people. Glad this experience has brought that back.

      Delete
  2. I’m not actually surprised by that. I know if I had left my keys in the post office, someone would have hung onto them for me until I came back. But still, it’s nice that nothing terrible happened! - Jennn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so worried! Our mailboxes are right out there, anyone walking by would see them.

      Delete
  3. As a postal worker I can tell you that typically, depending on the neighborhood, we'll leave them in the lock for one day. By the second day we'll either run them to the house or throw them in the box until someone asks. I tell people when they get their keys for the box (there's 3) to tape on inside the mailbox. That way if it's ever lost I can get the spare to them.

    One time I came across a key in our neighborhood. Knowing it was a mailbox key I tried every box until I found out whose house it belonged to and ran it to their front porch. I'd like to think it was appreciated. Especially because postal lock changes are $35.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate all of you! Our postal workers have it tough here ~ they have even been robbed at gunpoint. I was so grateful he came back and opened the box for me <3

      Delete
  4. What a relief. When you think about the number of people in your neighbourhood, znd how few it yakes yo do the bad yhings, then you start to realize there are losds of good people out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! The bad things being done get way more attention than the good things. :)

      Delete
  5. Yehhh. There's someone up there looking after you. Nice to hear a story with such a great ending

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think there are many more people who do the right thing than are given credit.

      Delete
  6. Ah, this was a wonderful story all around. Glad it all worked out. I too would have been paranoid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was paranoid! And so glad to be reminded that there are many more good people out there than not.

      Delete

Spring has sprung, let the gardening begin....

  This show of blooms was just the beginning! Of course they smell amazing, and all the pollinators think so too. Windows and back door open...