August 7, 2021

Sooner than I thought, but not soon enough...........

 

My most recent photo of Sioux.  

By the time most of you read this, our dearest Sioux will be gone.  The irritable bowel disease (which was severe), along with the subsequent pancreatitis has taken it's toll.  I mentioned in a previous post that Romeo was still working on keeping her alive.  He wasn't ready, but on Monday I told him that she isn't doing well.  I called the vet again on Wednesday, and she called me back on Thursday.  I gave her all the gory details, told her that she is dying, that she needs euthanasia.  She agreed to fit Sioux into the schedule for yesterday (it seems like a week and it's only been about 30 hours ago).  Instead of euthanasia, she prescribed yet another medication, an appetite stimulant.  Of course, Romeo was relieved, but I was alarmed.

Well, it became apparent early this afternoon that it's not working, she is not eating.  At least we have some pain medication for her, that Romeo gives her every 4 hours.  As of 5 pm, she will not get up, and will yipe and bite if we try to move her.  I immediately called the vet, and to no surprise, they are closed.  The voicemail gives you a number for an emergency vet clinic, but of course they can't come to you and we aren't able to take her to them.  The mobile vet couldn't come this evening.  They will be here tomorrow at 11, which will probably be too late for us to spare her the pain of dying.  

This is our death watch.  Just what I wanted to avoid.  I am so pissed off.  And so incredibly sad.  I doubt either of us will sleep at all tonight.  

I thought I would be writing all of this sometime next week.  She has gone downhill so very fast.  

I never want to go through this again, and so will never own another dog (or cat, or anything else for that matter).  It is just too painful.  Of course the pain lessens with time.  Romeo and I have had dogs for the last 42 years, we've always had a dog and most of the time we've had two.  But I just don't want to do it again and I will miss the companionship, the funny moments, the company.

I've considered all the dogs we have as a gift.  Each one holds a special place in my heart.  

Goodbye, my dearest Sioux.  


 


8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. Such a beautiful dog! It is so painful to say goodbye to them. I am actually horrified the vet prescribed the appetite stimulant instead of letting her go at the vet's visit. It would have been so merciful then and although your grief would have been the same it might have been a more peaceful less stressed goodbye.

    Sending you and Romero a virtual hug.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is still a bit raw, but we are focusing on her memory instead of her illness. I am planning on calling the vet on Monday ~ I just want to know why she prescribed the meds, and tell her what happened after.
      After experiencing the mobile vet coming to us, I don't think I would recommend any other way (for euthanasia). She was at home and we were with her.

      Delete
  2. We have shed a tear (0r more) just reading this. I can't imagine crushing pressure in your chest. At least she is in what she feels is a safe place to be vulnerable and with the people she loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it turned out, she was at home, in her favorite bed, with our pets and whispering to her when she passed. It was gut wrenching, but peaceful.

      Delete
  3. I do hope her last hours are relatively pain free and she goes peacefully to greener pastures.
    Love to you and Romeo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, her passing turned out to be peaceful ~ which is what we wanted for her, and us. We appreciate all of the condolences and love everyone has sent our way.

      Delete
  4. It is very difficult. You have my sincerest sympathies.

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...