August 9, 2021

Spending time with the crickets.........

 

There's a big empty spot where her bed always has been...........

I have a few more things to say about Sioux.....She did make it through the night, surprising both of us.  We comforted her ~ but she would not even drink water, which was surprising ~ she had even come downstairs with Romeo later in the evening on Saturday (thank God for the pain medication the vet gave us).  

Here is my shout out to mobile vets ~ we were so grateful that someone could come on Sunday.  A woman had come into the office and mentioned she worked for a mobile vet, and I had her card.  Dr Gonzales came with his assistant around 11:30.  I had asked they not ring the doorbell, just to keep Sioux from getting excited and barking, but she did anyway.  In some ways it was a bit comical to see her jump from her dog bed, this unsteady, scrawny dog doing her job.  And he was wonderful.  Compassionate.  Not in a rush, but slowly explaining, and caring for us and her.  She left this life very peaceably.  

After paying him ~ yeah, it was expensive but worth every penny ~ we just grabbed our keys and cell phones and drove to Santa Fe.  Where we grieved and walked around and talked about her, and what a wonderful dog she was.  Remember me mentioning we would never have another dog?  On the drive, we discussed the possibility.  Because without her, we realize how much we will miss the companionship and love that a dog brings to your family.  

The hard part was returning from the short trip and not hearing her bark, her tail wag banging against the door, greeting us as we returned home.

For some weird reason there was a collection of old wagons on a side street.  

The Pink Coyote, a nice restaurant we've eaten in many times....at one time it was someone's home, and small intimate dining areas fill the rooms.  

So, here I am, at 4am, writing an addition to her eulogy.  Goodbye, sweetheart.  You will remain forever in our hearts and memories.

Love, 365



10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. =hugs hugs= We are still tearing up at odd times. I suspect it will take awhile.

      Delete
  2. Although I am sad she left this life, I am glad it was peaceful and she was with those that loved her. That hole she left will take a bit of time to heal. Allow yourself to grieve and shed the tears that must be shed. You will know when you are ready to make room for another pet in your household.

    I haven't been to Santa Fe since we moved back in 1998. I'm trying to remember if the Pink Coyote was opened back then but I'm drawing a blank.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty. It may take a year, or maybe we won't do it. I was a bit surprised that Romeo even mentioned it. But oh my, the house is so quiet. It will be because we want to open our hearts to another, not to replace Sioux.
      Oh, I think the Pink Coyote has been there since we moved here in 1995. Santa Fe has lost a lot of businesses during Covid. Lots of empty buildings.

      Delete
  3. well you did it, you made me cry while reading this. I am so damn sorry for this huge loss Yvonee.
    I think the way you did this was perfect as well. Not taking her to a vet. We have discussed this and this is our wish to do this at home. Vets scare her and we don't want that on top of this. So good for you and Romeo. She will be there waiting for you guys!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm crying as I write...damn it, it is so f*ing hard. Thank you for your kind words. I really can't say enough about the mobile vet. She was on her own bed, with us sitting around her. And he was great with us as much as with her. It really counted, her being at home.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry for you and Romeo. She was a lovely dog and I am glad I got to know her a little bit through your blog. Take care and my deepest condolences.

    ReplyDelete

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...