September 3, 2018

Baking success......

It looks a bit dark, but I think it's the light it was under....
Baltimore peach cake.
Not sure why it's called a cake...

I was watching PBS one weekend morning which featured a peach cake recipe with Martha Stewart a few weeks before I received my peaches and saved it to try.  I thought it was delicious, with great peach flavor and a nice crunch from the yeast dough underneath.  I must warn you that if you want to make it (Martha Stewart's version) do not be daunted by the lack of foaminess of the yeast that is sprinkled on top of the milk.  I threw out my first batch and pulled out a new jar of yeast thinking that mine was past it's prime ~ but it did the same thing the second time, despite the fact I had let the milk sit out for 20 minutes to come to room temperature.  I later looked up other recipes and noticed that in one they scalded the milk to allow the yeast to rise.  Martha also had you add the 4 tablespoons of butter after the dough was made, which made it look like a gloppy mess.  As I set it aside I decided to make a pie, because I wasn't sure the peach cake recipe was working.  The first rise took forever.  I had peeled and sliced 8 peaches and mixed in the rest of the ingredients for the pie, made the pie, and put it in the oven to bake before the dough had risen.  

I decided to look for other recipes (which turns out to be a German pastry that can also be made savory with carmelized onions)  and found this one, which in my opinion will likely be easier to make than Martha Stewart's (which is kinda strange, with her being the Queen of baking).  I will try the second recipe this afternoon to take to the office tomorrow.  

Again, the lighting is terrible, but the pie is wonderful.

All of this peach baking is wreaking havoc with any attempts to reduce the daily caloric limit.  On the plus side, I've been eating plenty of peaches straight out of the boxes they came in.  And I've peeled, sliced and placed in the freezer 10 quarts of fresh peaches.  

So now I'm off to study!  Enjoy...
Love, 365

Later that evening: I made the other recipe for the peach cake, and it is much more a bread, it rose higher and the peaches lay more on top that they did for the Martha Stewart recipe.  Unfortunately the Stewart recipe did not stay crispy, so if you like that best eat it all in one sitting, haha.  Since I haven't eaten any of the second one, I'll update you on that in a later post.  

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And I would have been happy to bring over something ~ but I would ring the doorbell and run off because I know you don't like unannounced visitors...to bad we live so far apart, that would have been fun. :-)

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...