September 16, 2018

Sadly watching the weekend slide away.......


Morning glories on campus

Wow, this weekend went by in a flash.  I studied Saturday morning, then showered and dressed for my trip to the bookstore to buy the blue books for the exam.  They went up from 25 cents to 35 in the last year.  I just don't understand why they still use them when we could just staple 8 pages of notebook paper together.  It's easier for them I suppose.  It's not like 35 cents is gonna break the bank ~ the main annoyance is I'm only on campus twice a week, and I run to class and then run back to work, so I don't have time to stroll around, looking at flowers and making trips to the bookstore.   

Unfortunately I spent most of Saturday afternoon studying and preparing my notes sheet that we are allowed to take to the exam.  

This morning I was up with the birds at 6am, made coffee and studied some more.  Enjoyed a reprieve by playing racquetball this morning, helped Romeo clean house, did laundry, baked a cake for a birthday party on Wednesday and then went back to studying.  I've read all the material for this week and took the quiz, so all I have left for this week is study.  I did come to my office and wrote a few more notes, but the truth is I'm saturated with it and don't want to do it anymore.  

I will be ready to step on to that airplane next Sunday ~ at least I will be out of town.  I am not taking my books or anything else, I will just have to work hard to catch up when I return.  At least I say that now ~ I may change my mind and take the book so that I can keep up.  Just thinking of catching up is exhausting.

The cake is "cappuccino cake" from Mary Barry's cooking bible.  I was really worried because it has more sugar than flour, although I did realize that cocoa powder is really bitter.  Still, it smells good so that's something!  And the frosting is one of my favorites, whipped cream.  The twist is a small amount of instant coffee in the whipped cream, which is the only coffee in it.  So, seems a bit of a stretch to call is cappuccino cake, huh?  I'll let you know the final outcome, because I know you're dying to know, haha.

Love, 365

6 comments:

  1. Gahhhhh. Coffee.
    You can take a cup of warm milk, mix in sugar and cocoa and some marshmallows and some whipped cream and maybe sprinkles on top. But if you add ONE DROP of friggin' coffee, you're ruined it and I will not drink it.

    Studying is sort of masochistic at your age, isn't it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, not a coffe lover? Mmmmm, I do love my coffee, although I have to stop drinking it at noon or I won't sleep. I actually didn't start drinking it until 12 years ago, always hated it before then.

      And yes, this entire endeavor is masochistic. Especially at my age..... :-)

      Delete
  2. C'mon not much better than chocolate cake. Which I might add I miss terribly.
    So how was it?
    Baking chocolate cake with coffee adds to the chocolate and does not add the flavor of coffee generally. I have used instand coffee granules in cake many times. Just enhances the cocoa and you never taste coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coffee is added to the whipped cream, which should give it a nice color ~ but I thought I should wait until tomorrow because whipped cream frosting is best right before it's eaten. It just seems odd to name it cappuccino and not have coffee flavor. We'll see!

      Delete
  3. No. that's the only coffee? Bet it tasted amazing nonetheless.

    Would express work? The chemical structure of the two is almost the same: except for 1 differences. Coffee has H3N, Chocolate has HN. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to tamper with a new recipe ~ I don't mind once I know how it will turn out! I'm using powered expresso which is just a tad more flavorful than regular instant coffee. I didn't realize that coffee and chocolate were so close in structure. Yep. It is cool.

      Delete

Spring has sprung, let the gardening begin....

  This show of blooms was just the beginning! Of course they smell amazing, and all the pollinators think so too. Windows and back door open...