September 2, 2018

Happy Labor Day Weekend!

Labor Day parade in 1900 (source)

I read up a few facts about Labor Day, and in the late 1800s men, women and many children worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Many of those jobs were back breaking, like brick laying, dress making, etc, and for low wages to boot.  The holiday became national in 1894.  If you go the the source link for the photo, it takes you to the NY Times article if you're so inclined.

Palisade Peaches from Colorado (shutter stock)

A year ago one of my friends mentioned she had recently picked up her Palisade peaches and described how delicious they are.  She gave me instructions to where the truck would be delivering previously placed orders, and that if I were lucky, they would have a few extra boxes for folks who didn't know about it.  I did get my first box last year, and signed up for notification this year and was so excited when my postcard came.  I ordered two boxes and picked them up yesterday.  Last year I made a pie, but this year I'm planning on making a Baltimore Peach Cake: 
Martha Stewart

If it's as delicious as it looks, I'll post a pic of my own attempt.  Actually it looks easy.  I have 2 boxes of peaches, and I need to start baking!  Palisade peaches are delicious, and many Colorado residents can attest.  Romeo ate 3 of them yesterday......

At Wagner's in Corrales for green chile's

We also picked up freshly roasted green chile yesterday, so I spent an hour or so preparing them for freezing, and made a pot full of green chile stew.  Given how hot the medium was, I'm glad we didn't buy the "hot" chile.  It was delicious, and we're having it again today for dinner ~ my favorite thing during the fall so we don't have to cook every night.  Next week I'm going for beef carbonade, which is a beef roast, cut into chunks, browned in bacon drippings, lots of thinly sliced onions with beer, cooked in the oven for 2 hours and served on wide egg noodles.  It's a great recipe for the fall when you don't mind your oven on for that long.  

Meanwhile, at the U.S. Open.....

Čilić

Some games are predictable, but within those have been some awesome games that bring you out of your seat!  Looking forward to watching more today....

I hope all of you enjoy your Labor Day weekend!
Love, 365




3 comments:

  1. 12 hours a day and 7 days a week. I'm guessing there was no time and a half for overtime either. Difficult times for sure, and their internet service was awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...